Modal is a cellulose regenerated fiber of high wet modulus viscose fiber developed by the Austrian Lenzing company. The raw material of the fiber is European beech wood, which is first made into wood pulp, and then processed into fiber through a special spinning process. The raw material of this product is a kind of cellulose fiber, so it belongs to the same cellulose fiber as cotton, which is a purely natural fiber. Since all of the raw materials are natural, Modal is harmless to the human body. It can be decomposed naturally and is not harmful to the environment. In addition, there is no pollution during the entire production process of the fiber.
1. Structure and performance of Modal fiber
Modal China is popular in the world. The cross-section of Modal fiber is circular and has a sheath-core structure. It has a thicker skin and a smooth longitudinal surface.
2. Chemical components
Modal fiber, like viscose fiber, is composed of cellulose fiber and has natural fiber moisture absorption.
3. Supramolecular structure
Compared with ordinary viscose fiber, Modal fiber has a higher degree of crystallinity and orientation, indicating that there are fewer amorphous areas inside the fiber, and macromolecules are arranged neatly and tightly. At the same time, the strength of the fiber is greater and the elongation is less. Due to the existence of the fibril structure, the fiber feels fine, soft, strong skin-friendly, and comfortable to wear.
4. Physical properties
Modal fiber has a higher density than ordinary viscose fiber, and when exposed to water, its volume expansion is lower than that of viscose fiber, indicating that Modal fiber is less affected by humidity than viscose fiber.
5. Chemical properties
Modal fiber has a good heat resistance and decomposes at 180~200 degrees. Both Modal fiber and ordinary viscose fiber have good alkali resistance, and Modal is resistant to weak acids.
6. Mechanical properties
Compared with viscose fiber, Modal fiber has greater strength, a larger modulus, and less elongation. Moreover, its various properties are less affected by humidity than viscose fiber.
(1) Modal fiber fabric feels soft. It has a good drape and is comfortable to wear.
(2) The moisture absorption and air permeability of Modal fiber fabric are better than pure cotton fabric. It is an ideal close-fitting fabric and health-care clothing product, which is beneficial to the physiological circulation and health of the human body.
(3) Modal fiber fabric surface is flat, delicate, and smooth, with the feel of natural silk.
(4) Modal fiber fabric is a kind of natural mercerized fabric with bright color and light quantity.
(5) Modal fiber fabric has a stable wearing performance. After testing and comparing, after 25 times of washings with cotton fabric, the cotton fabric will feel harder, while Modal fiber fabric is just the opposite. Modal fabrics still maintain the original smooth and supple hand feeling, soft and bright after being washed many times, and the more they are washed, the softer and brighter they are.
(6) Modal fiber fabric has a good effect and strong shape stability. It has natural wrinkle resistance and ironing-free properties, making it more convenient and natural to wear.
The dry strength of Modal fiber is close to that of polyester, and the wet strength is much higher than that of ordinary viscose. The gloss, softness, moisture absorption, dyeability, and colorfastness are better than pure cotton products. The fabric made with it exhibits a silky luster, pleasant soft touch and drape, and excellent durability.